Board index : TeleFlow Forums : TeleFlow Designer & Simulator

Post subject: Channel switching/transfer between two T1 trunks on NMS
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:36 am 

Suppose I have two T1 trunks comming into the two RJ-48C slots in a NMS CG6060 board, both configured as PRI (ISDN).

Is it possible to transfer a call coming into channel x in trunk 0 to channel y in trunk 1 (assuming I cannot use the 2B-transfer method on the same trunk)?

I know I can switch or transfer a call from channel x to channel y in the same trunk, but can I do that using different trunks as well? How do I specify this in TeleFlow (using Transfer or Switch)?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Channel switching/transfer between two T1 trunks on NMS
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:55 am 

Switching across boards is possible, yes.

The boards must be connected with a CT Bus cable. You must also set up one of the cards as clock master and the other as slave, and you must enable switching in your NMS configuration.

Whatever TeleFlow step is appropriate for the type of switching/transfer task being performed on one board is appropriate for the job on multiple boards.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:08 pm 

Chris wrote:
Switching across boards is possible, yes.

The boards must be connected with a CT Bus cable.

I'm not using two or more boards, just one NMS CG 6060/11-2L/2TE which receives two T1 trunks, one from the provider's PSTN and one from the local PBX (a Nortel CS1000M); the idea is to switch an incoming customer call to an on-demand dialed customer service agent in a hunt group defined in the PBX.

Chris wrote:
You must also set up one of the cards as clock master and the other as slave, and you must enable switching in your NMS configuration.

I'll take that into account if the scenario shows up, but how do I enable trunk switching in the NMS configuration?

Chris wrote:
Whatever TeleFlow step is appropriate for the type of switching/transfer task being performed on one board is appropriate for the job on multiple boards.

Here I need more clarification as this is my original doubt: These TeleFlow steps accept the channel/port number to switch/transfer to, but I'm not sure how to use them when I have two different trunks...

Should I assume that channels from trunk 0 will be numbered 0 .. 23 and the channels from trunk 1 will be numbered, say, 25 .. 47, and then I can Switch the incoming call from channel 10 (first trunk) to channel 30 (second trunk)?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:03 am 

Quote:
I'm not using two or more boards, just one NMS CG 6060/11-2L/2TE which receives two T1 trunks, one from the provider's PSTN and one from the local PBX (a Nortel CS1000M); the idea is to switch an incoming customer call to an on-demand dialed customer service agent in a hunt group defined in the PBX.
Sorry, when I read multiple trunks I mistook that to mean over multiple boards. Switching across trunks on a single board is no different than switching ports on a single trunk.

The scenario you describe is possible, but only if you can configure the local PBX so that it derives its clock from the T1. If you cannot configure the PBX in this way, you won't be able to set things up as you describe. (you will have D-channel lockouts; you may have other problems as well)

No special configuration is required for switching across trunks on the same card.

Quote:
Should I assume that channels from trunk 0 will be numbered 0 .. 23 and the channels from trunk 1 will be numbered, say, 25 .. 47, and then I can Switch the incoming call from channel 10 (first trunk) to channel 30 (second trunk)?
As new trunks are added, the channels count up. Trunk 1 goes from 1-23, trunk 2 goes from 24-46, and so on. In the TeleFlow application, you can simply switch by channel number(or TeleFlow port number), without having to worry about which trunk you are connecting with.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:02 pm 

Thanks, Chris.

I guess your suggestion still applies if the NMS board receives both trunks from the PSTN with PRI (ISDN) parameters, right? Trunk #1 would still be used for incoming calls whereas Trunk #2 would be used for standard outgoing calls to the PBX (via PSTN)... Or should both trunks provide a master clock?

I ask because it's still uncertain the PBX supports an additional T1 trunk going to the IVR server (hardware issues as it already has two T1s in use for other purposes), so we're evaluating that other scenario as well.

Thanks for your support.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:11 pm 

When you configure the card, you configure it to get its clock from one trunk(typically, trunk 1). The card then uses that trunk for clocking altogether. (which is why, in the other scenario, you need the PBX to use the T1 from the card as its clock source; one card can't have two different sources for clocking)

Which trunk you use for inbound or outbound doesn't really matter.

You would only have to be concerned about where each circuit gets the clock if each circuit has differing clock sources. Two circuits provided by the same Telco for one purpose connected to one NMS card should be fine. If you were, for example, getting two circuits from two different Telcos, it is unlikely you could ever get the card configured to work properly. This is because both circuits will expect to provide the clock, and the card will only be able to use one of them as the clock source. It has been our experience that no Telco will configure a circuits to derive its clock from the card.

Profile WWW 

Board index : TeleFlow Forums : TeleFlow Designer & Simulator