Board index : TeleFlow Forums : TeleFlow Designer & Simulator

Post subject: XML variable not being processed
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:32 pm 

Hello - We’ve stumbled across a critical point in our development. We are trying to pull in an XML file via variable without success. If the file is referenced explicitly by name, everything is fine. I’ve attached screenshots of the flows, as well as log output. The XML contents are identical for both.

The ‘notworking’ files reference the load via variable. The ‘working’ files reference the explicit path. Please do not to worry about the "working" log’s fatal error at the end, as we are working through that issue, so please ignore everything after the XML load stuff! We’ve also observed that using variables in the actually opening of the connection works 100%, it won’t work in the XML Load step.

Additionally, the variable referenced is a global one, and it is set before it is used.

Here are the contents of the XML file:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<ConnSettings>
<DSN>Voice</DSN>
<UserName>sa</UserName>
<Password>secret-voodoo-password</Password>
</ConnSettings>

Thanks in advance for you quick response on this,
Susan

PS - My zip file of the above is too large. I've sent these files to support@engenic.com. Thanks.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
- Kurt Vonnegut

Profile YIM 

Post subject: Re: XML variable not being processed
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:01 pm 

Unless I'm mistaken, I think this is actually related to a bit of confusion caused by a bit of ambiguity resulting from the step labels, and how TeleFlow works with respect to variables.

Throughout TeleFlow, you will find that in any field you use, you should be able to provide a string literal or a variable, and they are used in the same way. In the XML Load step, the same applies.

In XML Load, when you indicate "Load from Variable", you are actually indicating to TeleFlow that your variable contains your XML document. It will then load that XML document, and associate with the XML handle you have defined.

When you indicate "Load from File", you are indicating to TeleFlow that it should load your XML document from the file in the "Variable / File to load" field. That field could have a literal path to the XML file, OR it can contain a variable that contains the path and filename of the XML file.

By setting it to "Load from Variable" and having the variable contain the path to the file, you are instructing TeleFlow to treat the contents of the variable as an XML document, which it isn't.

I believe you will find if you change your non-working version to "Load from File", it will work just like your working version.

Profile WWW 

Board index : TeleFlow Forums : TeleFlow Designer & Simulator