Board index : TeleFlow Forums : TeleFlow Designer & Simulator

Post subject: All wave devices... Error
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:33 am 

I have the "All wave devices ..." error on a WIN2K machine
with an AOpen FM56-PV Controllerless PCI Modem.

The Device Manager shows a "Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device"
as stated in the modem configuration file Cxt10b6k.inf file but not a
"Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device" as indicated in several articles.

Does the wave driver used by the simulator must be "Full" or "Half" duplex?
Switched out modem 3 times and in the process loaded Half and Full Duplexes without resolution. Updated all drivers in the machine and upgraded BIOS without resolution.

Took workstation to wholesaler and verified modem was running correctly. Next, replaced sound blaster Live 5.1 card with Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI 128 CT4810 card and downloaded all drivers for the card to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the support....

Attachments:
Clips of Full Duplex Audio Device.doc [63 KB]
Downloaded 809 times
 Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: All wave devices... Error
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

I am confused by the modem in the mix. Are you trying to run TFSimulator on a modem? Note that this is not supported by TFSimulator. In order to interface with a telephone line, you need a telephony card from Ai-Logix, Dialogic, or NMS Communications, and you'll need to configure and run TFServer. The sole purpose of TFSimulator is to run your application using your sound card so that you can test/debug on your desktop without needing to install a telephony card.

Both the SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card and the Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI 128 CT4810 card should be capable of playing/recording audio via the TFSimulator. The Simulator makes simply makes calls to Windows Media Control Interface. The "All wave devices in use" error is indicating that either the sound card isn't really setup in Windows, or some other program is monopolizing it.

Here's a couple of things to check:

Do you have other applications running that could have exclusive use of the media devices? Such as Skype or other Windows Media Player?

Can the Ensoniq Audio card play/record via the Windows Sound Recorder?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:26 am 

Thanks for the reply.....

While trying to solve the problem, I found what looked like a wave driver associated with the Aopen modem so I started a series of tests to see if that was the problem - it was not.

Since the original post, I returned to the SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card without solving the problem. First, with the SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card, when I try to use the sound recorder, I receive an error message "Another application is recording audio. Stop recording with this other application and then try to record with the Sound Recorder again." After some adjustments - Audio Properties; Sound Recording; tried three option returning to SB live! Audio [D400], I can now record and play a new WAV file. The simulator still will not record.

I found out a month ago that the Windows Media Player was not in the development computer. As a result, the Windows Media Player was loaded from the OS CD. How can I tell if it is running and should I remove it from the machine - see attached Windows Task Manager?

Skype has never been loaded on this machine.

How may I determine that the sound card isn't really setup in Windows, or some other program is monopolizing it? I've attached a copy of the current Windows Task Manger program listing for your review.

Again, thanks....

Attachments:
Windows Task Manager 101008.jpg
Windows Task Manager 101008.jpg [ 68.45 KB | Viewed 14252 times ]
 Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:56 am 

In Windows 2000, Windows Media Player most likely shows up in the process list as "mplayer2.exe", so I don't believe it it running. You should be able to run it manually (if you want to) by going to Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> Entertainment >> Windows Media Player. I don't believe there is any reason to remove it.

So, you are saying you can now record and play a new audio recording using Sound Recorder, correct?

When you run the Simulator, do you leave Sound Recorder running? (If so, shut it down and try again)

Can Simulator Play files?

Can Voice Script Manager - in TeleFlow Designer - Record/Play files?

Since you have been successful with Sound Recorder, have you verified that the error in Simulator is the same?

Is the other sound card you installed still physically in the computer? Whether it is or not, does Windows still have it listed as a Device?

As for telling if the device is properly set up in Windows, I only wish it was so "cut and dry" that I could point you to a single location to check a couple settings. The fact is, with an SB Live! card, we usually have success right away. Sometimes with sound cards, "something" is amiss, and only extensive troubleshooting will get past it.

You said you tried a few different settings before getting it to record. How many device options do you have for recording in the sound properties? On my computer, I have only two. One is for my lousy integrated sound card, which I don't use, the other is for the installed SB Live! card, which I do.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:58 am 

Oh, one other point: "usually" I would start with getting the system to the point of recording in Sound Recorder as an indication the device is set up "properly". In your case, you have made it that far and still aren't having any success, so obviously, there is still something wrong.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:42 am 
Site Admin

How did you determine Aopen modem was not the problem?

For good measure, I would disable or remove the Aopen modem, and see what that does to your SB 5.1 behaviour and the TFSimulator behaviour.

I find it odd that an audio driver would be associated with a modem.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 pm 

Thank you for the support. I've tried the following:
1 I removed the modem without resolving the problem
2 I just recorded and played back using the Sound Recorder without a problem.
3 With the sound blaster 5.1 card, I opened the Creative Launcher/AudioHQ/Diagnostics and tested the Wave Audio Playback tab - tested OK; tested the Record Tab - recorded and played OK; tested MIDI Tab - tested OK; Tested CD Audio Playback - tested OK; These tests indicate to me that the sound card is setup in Windows. During all of the tests, the Sound Recorder was not running. The problem remains....
4 Did not find mplayer2.exe running
5 The Voice Script Manager does Record/Play files.
6 The Simulator Plays WAV prompts prior to the point of recording the incoming message.
7 Only one sound card is currently being listed.
8 I loaded the full development environment and application on an XP Sony laptop and once the ODBC was set up, the simulator ran with an onboard sound card!!!!

I would prefer not to do my development on the laptop since I have third party software and a full-size keyboard on my desktop.

Any other suggestions?????

Thanks again for the support...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:01 am 

Could you provide a clip of the log where the Record step is failing, including the previous steps to it? (Maybe the previous 5 or 6 steps, and certainly including the most recent Play step to it)

After a fresh restart of Windows, without running anything, run a TeleFlow application (either modify your current one just for this test, or create one) that goes directly from Wait for Call to a Record step. Record to something you know will work, like C:\my_test_file.wav. Run the application in TFSimulator. Does this fail, and if so, is the error the same?

When you said the Simulator works on the other system... I assume you tested up to/past the point of the record step? (since that's what you are trying to overcome)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:58 am 

Hi Chris...

As per your request, I sent the following to you as an email:
The attached item contains three logs as follows:

Application – Desktop – HOST1 - Failed
Original Problem
Application – Laptop01 - Passes
Recorded and played back
Answermachine.TAP – Desktop - HOST1 - Failed
I hope this serves as the test you wanted...

The Laptop test which passed did continue running after recording
the message.

Chris, it appears as if we're finding out alot of things, just none of
them are the problem. Well, at least we know what it isn't...

Also, since Teleflow has gone to open source, is it possible for me to see the logic behind the "Record" Step. It should point to what generated the error message.

Again, thanks very much for continuing to work on this...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:11 pm 

Thank you for conducting the tests. The third one wasn't quite what I was after, but because the Simulator plays a ring tone ahead of the first record anyway, I can't get you to try what I was hoping to regardless.

Unfortunately, as I think you suspect, the testing/logs show nothing particularly telling. (nothing we didn't already know, really)

Going back through this thread, I see back at the beginning that driver updates were applied, but the description suggests they have been applied for a modem, and for another sound card that has since been removed. Were the most up-to-date SB Live 5.1 drivers you could find for Win2k ever applied? Is the OS fully patched?

As far as the open source is concerned, you could locate the logic behind the "Record" step, but you would be on your own to locate this in the source code and make sense of it.

I can save you some suspense on that, however, as we already know WHAT is failing; There is an MCI function call to start recording that returns the result you see in the log(I.e. the error text you have highlighted in the log you sent is not a TeleFlow generated error message; TeleFlow is reporting the MCI error the function returns). This function "just works" on just about every system but yours. That is a bit of an oversimplification: We have seen this error before, but typically, once you reach the point where you can record outside of TeleFlow, the Simulator is able to record as well. For some reason this isn't the case on the system you are working with.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:33 pm 

Hi...

After a fresh restart of Windows, without running anything,
run a TeleFlow application.
Done...

The attached log is my second attempt to test the ability to record
and was run after the restart. I hope this is what you wanted.
I modified my current application to go directly to record using
C:\my_test_file.wav for my recording file. I checked and the file
was created but was empty...

Same error message....

Were the most up-to-date SB Live 5.1 drivers you could
find for Win2k ever applied?
Yes. Every time I changed a card, I loaded the
most up-to-date driver I could find.
Is the OS fully patched?
Yes.

Chris, thanks for the info on the error message. I thought the message with the number 322 would turn up something - it did not....

Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:34 am 

Don't worry about that test I wanted; I realized what I was asking for wasn't actually possible. (I wanted to see if Simulator could record if it never played ANYTHING. This is impossible because it automatically plays a ring tone... so we can't test that. That wouldn't have told us "much", but it is yet more information.)

If you are trying to do an online search yourself for this error, you will have more success if you look for a part of the error string. I can find a fair bit if I search the following in google, for example:
"All wave devices" MCI

Not all of it would appear to be quite the same as they issue you are experiencing, but some of the resulting topics are at least about audio/WAV files, and the same error.

What format are the files you can record in Voice Script Manager? To get this information: Right-click the file, click Properties, click Summary. If you create a new file with the script manager and record to it, does this produce the same format of file?

After restarting the computer, don't start any programs except for TFSimulator through the Windows Programs menu(Start >> Programs >> TeleFlow >> TeleFlow Simulator). Open your application in TFSimulator(File >> Open >> locate and run your TAP file). Can you record now?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:46 pm 

Thanks for your reply...

I was unable to locate the file format under "Summary" for WIN2K.

When trying to open my TAP file, a TFSimulator.EXE window opens: "Abnormal program termination" - OK.

I hope that gives you another piece of the puzzle...

Again, Thanks....

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:46 pm 

Quote:
I was unable to locate the file format under "Summary" for WIN2K.

You might have to hit an "Advanced" button to expose the details, and/or expand the "Audio" property in the tree.

Quote:
When trying to open my TAP file, a TFSimulator.EXE window opens: "Abnormal program termination" - OK.

Immediately after getting this error, grab a copy of the log (Simulator logs are typically at C:\Program Files\TeleFlow. They are named TFSimulator_[date stamp].log.) and either upload it to this thread or send it to support@engenic.com.

Profile WWW 

Board index : TeleFlow Forums : TeleFlow Designer & Simulator