Board index : TeleFlow Forums : Dialogic/Intel Boards

Post subject: Simultaneous calls per card
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:15 pm 

Does the 60 port board imply that with 2 ISDN Trunk lines we can have 60 simultaneous calls initiated? What resources are impacted as the max call number threshold is reached?

Thanks,
Susan

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
- Kurt Vonnegut

Profile YIM 

Post subject: Re: Simultaneous calls per card
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:19 pm 

Which specific board are you referring to, and where will it be used?

A "60 port board" is actually a 2 trunk board. In North America, 2 ISDN trunks will amount to a maximum of 46 simultaneous calls(i.e. 23 calls per trunk). Outside NA, 2 ISDN trunks will yield the 60 call maximum(30 per trunk).

You probably won't have resource issues with the boards, but it does depend on both the specific board you are using and what you are using the board for. If you are performing basic IVR functionality - answering/placing calls, playing files, recording audio files, getting touch-tone responses from the caller - you won't encounter any resource issues with the boards themselves.

If you are talking about system resources, that isn't really something I can tell you, because this has more to do with what your application is doing, what external processes it is interacting with, and how efficiently it is doing so. If, for example, 60 TeleFlow application instances were running highly inefficient queries against a database over and over again without pausing between runs of the query, you are practically guaranteed to create a database bottleneck. The wouldn't really be a TeleFlow issue as such, but does illustrate that you need to be careful (or at least not careless) with your design to avoid such issues.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:58 am 

Here is the board we're looking at:

Dialogic® D/600JCT-2E1 Media Board (as well as the 48 port)

http://www.dialogic.com/products/tdm_bo ... 600_ds.pdf

We were wondering about performance from a call perspective - at what point would calls get dropped, etc. It certainly makes sense if database queries are not optimized, then a problem would occur.

Thanks again!!
Susan

- Kurt Vonnegut

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:32 am 

That board is specifically for E1, not T1, so it won't work in North America. If you are running outside NA, that is probably just what you want. (I just wanted to clarify that point)

At no point should you start experiencing dropped calls just on a call volume basis(the question actually surprises me a little, as we have never had a problem like this). Granted, that could be an oversimplification: If something you are doing in the application causes some form of resource issue, it is theoretically possible to have dropped calls based on call volume. This isn't something I could predict, having not developed your application(s). What I can tell you is that TeleFlow and the hardware itself will not start dropping calls simply on a call volume basis.

I suppose it is also possible that an external factor could come into play with dropped calls. If you had a PBX between the TeleFlow Server system and the PSTN, the PBX might drop calls over some volume. Again, this isn't something I could predict.

The one reason I can predict that you will get dropped calls is application errors, which again probably don't relate to call volume. A thoroughly tested and debugged application will eliminate this issue.

A final point: I believe you had some plans to use TeleFlow for Speech Recognition. Only prompted SR is supported in TeleFlow with Dialogic hardware. For barge-in, you have to go with NMS. Furthermore, you have a little more control with outbound calls in TeleFlow using NMS, if that is a concern for your applications.

Here is a link for a similar card from NMS Communications:
CG 6060

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:53 am 

Thanks for the clarification on the E1. And thanks for your comments regarding the SR side. We will start building this feature in very soon.

Susan

- Kurt Vonnegut

Profile YIM 

Board index : TeleFlow Forums : Dialogic/Intel Boards